Lecturer of Atmospheric Science-Meteorology (2023-2024 Academic Year)
The Department of Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, and Physics invites part-time faculty candidates for Lecturer in Atmospheric Science. This position presents face-to-face labs and/or lectures in undergraduate meteorology courses including Meteorology, Synoptic, and Forecasting. In all matters, faculty are expected to maintain the highest standards of professional ethics consistent with the UIW Mission. Official duties and responsibilities of faculty members at the University include teaching, scholarship, service, and professional activities as assigned.
This applicant pool will remain online and be used to hire interested part-time faculty as needed.
This position is considered a "Responsible Employee" under Title IX federal regulations and "Mandatory Reporter" under Texas state law and the UIW Sexual Misconduct Policy. As a Mandatory Reporter, this position requires you as the employee to promptly report any incident that you witness or receive information about Title IX violations. These reporting responsibilities are set out in the UIW Sexual Misconduct Policy.
- Prepare course outlines and teach based on approved departmental syllabi; prepare and deliver consistent, interactive lectures.
- Prepare timely and meaningful assessments for assigned courses.
- Work collaboratively with departmental faculty to ensure standard curriculum outcomes are met.
- Incorporate the use of technology within lectures.
- Adhere to UIW policies and procedures, including timely record keeping of student activities, fair and equitable evaluation of student performance, and timely feedback to students regarding their performance in the course.
- Be available outside of class on a weekly basis to help students learn and to answer their questions (1 hour per 3-hour class, physically and/or electronically).
- Conduct respectful relationships with faculty, staff, and students both in and outside the classroom.
- Maintain contact with the department chair and participate in meetings upon request.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and teaching ability needed in atmospheric science and/or meteorology, including lectures and labs.
- Strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.
- Ability to effectively learn, use, and incorporate instructional technology into teaching;
- Willingness and flexibility to teach day, evening, and weekend sections as needed;
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, the Conference, and the NCAA.
Masters Degree in Atmospheric Science and/or Meteorology, OR Masters Degree in related field with 18 graduate semester hours in Atmospheric Science and/or Meteorology.
Required Work Experience
- Previous experience teaching at the college level, with undergraduate teaching experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with interest and experience in teaching a diverse population of students and using computers and advanced technology to enhance the educational experience of students, both non-science and science majors.
Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
Based on course assignment to include daytime or evening classes.
Typical of faculty in this field.
Posting Number: UN763PO
Job Type: Part Time
Job Category: Faculty
Desired Start Date: 08/14/2023
Position End Date (if temporary):
Reports To: Dr. Carlos Garcia, Dean
Salary: $2,800 - $3,000 per 3-hour course -Commensurate with experience
Open Date: 07/25/2023
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
To apply, visit https://jobs.uiw.edu/postings/23132
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national origin, age, marital status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, veteran status, pregnancy, and religion (except in limited circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed appropriate as a matter of University policy).
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-d6a083b3daee2a40aa6812fd20ee2d2d